To break the cycle of challenging mealtimes, try thinking about teatime in a different way. Changing the scene and breaking routine can help greatly and making a meal a special event can distract the child from any eating worries.
- Involve your child in mealtimes. If they help you prepare a meal, they are more likely to eat the fruits of their labour. See our section on Cooking with kids for more tips!
- Pack up tea into a picnic, grab a blanket and eat your meal in the park, in the garden or by the swings
- Make a den under the stairs or under the table and surprise your kids by serving tea in a fun environment
- Alternatively, have a teddy bear’s picnic and invite dolls and other favourite toys to join in
- Even very young children enjoy having friends round for tea. Invite a friend over with a good appetite and try to take the back seat.